Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bob Casey of Pennsylvania

I had high hopes for Bob Casey Jr. of Pennsylvania, the Democratic candidate for US Senate running against Rick Santorum.

Then I actually watched Casey speak at the Catholic University of America (via a webcast).

This is the first time I've seen the younger Casey speak.

I could be characterized as a pro-life, New Deal democrat - I'd like to see Roe overturned, and I'd also like to see health care defined as a right, not a privelege.

I was tremendously disappointed by what I saw of Casey's speech. For one thing, he looked like he was reading a well-rehearsed speech written by a careful staff of pollers, rather than speaking from conviction as Rick Santorum does (and I am no lover of Santorum, but were I in PA, I just might vote for him, having seen Casey).

The younger Casey seemed eager to apologize for his pro-life stance, very unlike his father, who was so adamant that he was barred from speaking at a national convention. I'm afraid the younger Casey has learned the wrong lessons. Kinda like the younger Bush.

Politics in a true democracy stink to high heaven - people get what they deserve. And once again, the people of Pennsylvania get to choose between someone who's wishy-washy on life issues, but liberal, and someone who would be delighted to lower the minimum wage, but is strong on life issues.

I'm glad I don't have to vote in that contest, I think I'd like to vote "no, no".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home